Throughout the school year, the Duke University Energy Initiative organizes Power Lunches at which energy professionals visit campus to share lunch and discuss issues facing their sector with a group of undergraduate and graduate students.
In organizing each year's slate of Power Lunch visitors, the Energy Initiative selects professionals representing diverse aspects of the industry, ranging from oil and gas to tech to energy finance. Speakers, who are often Duke alumni, outline their own professional trajectories, offer industry insights, and answer students' questions.
Whether a Power Lunch takes the form of an off-the-cuff discussion or a more structured presentation, students always leave feeling better informed about their professional possibilities. The lunches are open to all interested students at Duke, although advance registration is required (and seats often fill up quickly!).
“Energy Initiative Power Lunches are unique opportunities to have informal group conversations with leaders in the energy industry," reflects Caitlin Bonney (MEM'19). "This year I especially enjoyed the chance to hear Julian Spector, writer for Greentech Media, share his excitement and passion for clean tech and get his first-hand perspective about what he thinks the next biggest disruptors are in the energy space.”
Thanks to the professionals who visited Duke during the 2017-2018 school year:
- Chris Abbate (T'92), Managing Director, Riverstone
- Abhishek Balakrishnan (E'14, E'15) - Software Engineer, Schlumberger, BSE and ME, 2014 + 2015 Duke Grad
- John Cheek (MS) - Geoscience Region Manager, ExxonMobil Production Company
- Mirka Della Cava (T'85), Project Manager, Colorado Energy Office’s Energy Performance Contracting Program, AB: Political Science, 1985 Duke Grad
- Ryan Goldsberry - Specialist Leader, Deloitte’s Strategy and Operations Practice
- Daniel Ketyer (T'16) - Business Analyst, Deloitte’s Strategy and Operations Practice, AB: Public Policy Studies, 2016 Duke Grad
- Benjamin Rich (T'05, MBA'09) - Senior Vice President, Power and Gas Origination at EDF Trading North America
- Julian Spector (T'14) - Staff Writer, Greentech Media, AB: Political Science, 2014 Duke Grad
- Kristina Skiera - CEO, Power for All
Are you a Duke student interested in taking part in Power Lunches and similar events? Join the Energy Initiative email list.